Delay while Synchronisation

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
nicomehl

Delay while Synchronisation

Post by nicomehl »

Hi there,

I'm using the newest version of Thunderbird with the Lightning Add-on and the newest BirdieSync3 beta version (beta 13). It works fine, but: when I synchronize, it takes up to 5 or 10 Minutes until the Synchronisation finally completes. It begins with "preparing synchronisation" each time I connect, and even this phase - the "preparing face" - always takes a couple of 5 Minutes or so. My Mobile Phone is the Samsung s 4.

What can I do about it?

I'm using BirdieSync and Thunderbird for many years. It always took a while to synchronize, maybe one or two minutes... but now up to ten minutes...

Kind regards, Nico

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Delay while Synchronisation

Post by Birdy »

Hello Nico,

In the Synchronization view, in the Samsung box, under the progress bar for contacts and events, could you tell me the status which take times ? Is it "Listing address books", "Listing calendars" or "Preparing synchronization" ?
The very first synchronization, the "Preparing synchronization" can take time. But in theory, the overall synchronization in Combining mode should be quicker than in 2.x if a lot of items are identical on both sources.
But if your address books or calendars have already been synchronized, it shouldn't take that much time. Unless you kept "Remove duplicates" button ticked (but you should see a status "Looking for duplicates").
The "Listing address books/calendars" phase is slow presently. It should be possible to improve it in the future.
Could you tell me the number of contacts and events you synchronize ?
Thanks.
Birdy

nicomehl

Post by nicomehl »

Hi Birdy,

I synchronize only my calender, so at this moment I can't tell how (fast) synchronization of the adress book works. But I'll try!

Synchronization of my calender starts with "preparing", which goes pretty fast (only a couple of seconds). The next phase is "listing events" and takes very long, some five to ten minutes. There are about 4.000 Events in total, but every time in synchronize there are only about three to ten changes. The next phase, the actual synchronisazion, goes very fast, a couple of seconds.

This seems to fit perfectly to what you told me, that the "listing phase" is slow presently. So everything seems to be allright, no problem. Hope it improves a little bit :)

Thank you so much, warm regards, Nico

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Well, actually, the slow phase I was talking was the "Listing calendars" part (not "Listing events") :) I need to check why the "Listing events" would be slower in 3.0. Is the "Listing of events" slow on Android or Thunderbird ? If in Thunderbird, is it a local calendar or a remote one (ICS/iCal, Google, etc.).
Thanks.
Birdy

nicomehl

Post by nicomehl »

Hi Birdy,

I think it's on Android. The right box (Android) seems to be active (the green bulk, "Listing Events"), the left box says just "Waiting".

Nico