"Preparing syncronization" lasts long time, Syncronization t

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Lungo

"Preparing syncronization" lasts long time, Syncronization t

Post by Lungo »

Very slow.
The Preparing Syncronization phase lasts 30 minutes, Syncronization lasts over 45 minutes.
6185 items to sync.
My pc is an old Sony Vaio with Xp, T7800 Intel processor, Gb RAM, dirty keyboard and display too.
My smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy S5. Dirty the same.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: "Preparing syncronization" lasts long time, Syncronizati

Post by Birdy »

Hello Lungo,

If the address books or calendars you synchronize together are synchronized in "Combine" mode, the "Preparing" phase can be slow, especially if you have several thousands of items as you have. This is because in order to avoid creating duplicates at first synchronization, items are examined and compared on each source to see if they are identical or not. And since you have a lof of items to synchronize, that may take time. Note that compared to the previous 2.x version, the "Preparing"' phase is longer, but the synchronization is quicker (because it is not longer necessary to delete duplicated items after they were transferred).
The next time you launch the synchronization, it should be much quicker since all items are already synchronized together.

Note also that if you choose "Replace" mode instead of "Combine" mode at first synchronization (with the circular arrow with the point on the right above the address books and calendars list), the synchronization is quicker since there is no comparison between items on both sources, which shorten the "Preparing" phase. But in this case, items on a specific source are replaced with items from the other source.
In the future, it should be possible to see if the reading/writing on the Android device and the initial comparison of items can be sped up.
Birdy

Lungo

Post by Lungo »

Ok, thanks a lot!
I've found a quite sure bug in order to syncronizing events, where I have to write it? As a post in this forum?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

If you have a problem or found a bug, you can use BirdieSync menu "Help/Report a problem". You may then give a description of the problem and logs will be automatically archived and send to support with it (logs are very usefull for anylisis).
It is recommended to have your sources connected (Android and Thunderbird) while sending the report to be able to retrieve their logs as well.
Thanks.
Birdy