No More Sunbird Support

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
gunamoi

No More Sunbird Support

Post by gunamoi »

I got this app primarily to sync my phone with Sunbird calendar on my PC.
Having just upgraded to version 3, it seems that you no longer support Sunbird.
Is this true?

This was not mentioned anywhere in the emails, or on your web site.
If so, I guess I'll have to see if I can reinstall the previous version.

I know Lightning does the same as Sunbird, but it's built into Thunderbird, and I prefer a standalone calendar.
I know Sunbird is no longer supported by a mozilla project like lightning, but it doesn't need to be because it's already perfect.

regards,

Spider

Re: No More Sunbird Support

Post by Spider »

1ste you don't see sunbird at the download page
2de at the Features you don't see any sunbird any more.
3the you can do a trail from the new tb with no purhase. http://www.birdiesync.com/registration
4the the latest sunbird is from june 2010 mozilla has stopt to support sunbird you can't download it any more from moz site.
And there will be a 5the and so on......
So you can't say it whas not mentiond ,i can only say read your screen. Always be aware and this is for all soft can change thats way you have always a trail version almost on any soft.

gunamoi

Post by gunamoi »

The main web page says "thunderbird and sunbird", in many places.
The download page says "thunderbird and sunbird".
The app description on google says "thunderbird and sunbird".
The FAQ pages talk about "thunderbird and sunbird".

So with Sunbird clearly mentioned in so many places, and knowing that people do use your app with Sunbird, it would surely not hurt you to just add a few words to clearly state that version 3 does NOT support Sunbird.

Adding a few words costs you nothing.
And avoids causing problems for previously loyal customers.

Spider

Post by Spider »

gunamoi wrote:The main web page says "thunderbird and sunbird", in many places.
The download page says "thunderbird and sunbird".
The app description on google says "thunderbird and sunbird".
The FAQ pages talk about "thunderbird and sunbird".
Why?
You can still download version 2.x and use it
And if i get it rigth you still can register version 2.x that i'am not sure maybe with mail and not from site

So i still stay to my statement read the screen

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello gunamoi,

I'm sorry, but Sunbird is no longer supported in new version 3.0 of BirdieSync. Actually as you mentioned Sunbird project itself is not supported itself and if you go on Sunbird old Mozilla web page (calendar project), you are now automatically redirected to Lightning which is now directly integrated in Thunderbird. Since Sunbird is no longer adapted to core Mozilla evolutions, the differences with the source code of Lightning increases along the time. So even if Sunbird can still be synchronized with previous version 2.x of BirdieSync, it's not possible to do it with new version 3.0.

Sunbird is still mentioned on the home page because it is possible to synchronize it with version 2.x. But the Features section as well as some pages of the FAQ needs to be updated (as well as for 3.0) to reflect this change and avoid any confusion.
Birdy