Folder Synchronization Mode and Remote/Local items

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
dinchis

Re: Folder Synchronization Mode and Remote/Local items

Post by dinchis »

i think I must be setting something up wrongly.
I have Tbird on my desktop and on my laptop. I have the BS app on my HTC android phone.
I regularly sync the desktop and phone and the creation/deletion of contacts between the two works fine, irrespective of where the contact was created/deleted.
a week later I want to sync my laptop with the phone in order to bring all 3 into line. But this operation tries to recreate all the contacts on my phone that have previously been deleted and then they are recreated on the desktop as well on the next occasion that I sync the phone with that.
BS on both laptop and desktop are set up as using the local Tbird (ie on the same machine) so in efffect I am using my phone as a link to sync the address books on my laptop and desktop.
Is this the best way to do this please, and if so how do I stop the recreation of deleted contacts described above.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

On your laptop and on your desktop, are all address books have a Read/Write permission ? A Read only permission for an address book on the Laptop for instance could explain why deleted contacts on the phone are created again when you synchronize them with the laptop. When you look at the History tab in BirdieSync on the laptop, what is the reason displayed for the re-creations ? (use beta version 17)
Thanks.
Birdy

dinchis

Post by dinchis »

The setup is as follows:
Desktop
User Source Content Address book Status Permissions Mode
User A Tbird Contacts PAB shared read/write combine
a second source for user A HTC mini A Contacts PAB shared read/write combine
User B HTC mini B Contacts PAB shared read/write combine

Laptop
User Source Content Address book Status Permissions Mode
User C Tbird Contacts PAB read/write combine
HTC mini A Contacts PAB read/write combine

Tbird is installed on desktop and laptop. We want the PAB to be the same on all devices. Contact X was present on both phones and the desktop. The following was the sequence for the contact in question:
2015-7-15
The laptop PAB was fully deleted, then synced with my phone HTC mini A in order to do a full load of PAB. History report says:
Creation: Contact X, on source: Tbird, on folder: PAB, from source: HTC mini A, from folder: PAB, from account: pcsc, reason: the contact was present in address book PAB in source HTC mini A and not in the address book PAB in source Tbird
2015-7-22
I deleted contact X on my phone HTC mini A, then synced with the desktop. History report says:
Deletion: Contact X, on source: HTC mini A, on folder: PAB, on account: pcsc, from source: Tbird, from folder: PAB, reason: the contact was deleted in address book PAB in source HTC mini A.
Then I synced my wife's phone HTC mini B with the desktop. History report says:
Deletion: Contact X, on source: HTC mini B, on folder: PAB, on account: pcsc, from source: Tbird, from folder: PAB, reason: the contact was deleted in address book PAB in source HTC mini B
Above were all done on earlier beta consistent with the dates.
2015-7-28 (beta 17)
Then I tried to sync HTC mini A with the laptop to get contact X deleted there. Preview report says:
Creation: Contact X, on source: HTC mini A, on folder: PAB, on account: pcsc, from source: Tbird, from folder: PAB, reason: the contact was present in address book PAB in source Tbird and not in the address book PAB in source HTC mini A.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Thank you for the detailed scenario.
Could you tell me if the option "Remove duplicates" on the right of the synchronization progress bar was enabled or not when you synchronized at that time ?
Did you have duplicates when you replaced your contacts the first time on the laptop ?
How did you connect your HTC devices to BirdieSync serfver on the desktop and on the laptop ? Via USB or via Wi-Fi. If via Wi-Fi do you change the IP address to connect to the other PC ?

Some of the reasons (deletion) on the desktop seem incorrect and don't match the "On" and "From" columns. The problem has been fixed in beta 17 but should have automatically been updated with this new version. Could you confirm that the desktop was updated to beta 17 (it is as if it has a previous version on it)

I also sent you an email asking you to send specific information if possible to investigate on the problem.
Thanks.
Birdy