All invitations from past has been sent

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Aleq

All invitations from past has been sent

Post by Aleq »

Hello.
Terrible thing happened.
I've restored my PDA (WM6.1) from backup after repair, paired with WMCC (Vista) and synced. Everything seemed fine until later I've realized that my Thunderbird + Google Calendar Provider + BirdieSync resent ALL invites from the past, so I've flooded everybody I've ever dealt with. I've immediately uninstalled Birdie sync from device and desktop, deactivated Google Calendar Provider as well. Now, I'm afraid to install it again. It was sent to customers and people I have formal relationships, this is very unpleasant situation and can't happen again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aleq

Aleq

Re: All invitations from past has been sent

Post by Aleq »

And I have duplicates of almost everything in Google Calendar now.
P.S.: I have changed a time zone, but only in Windows - I was used to have not working synchronization while I'm in travel (I don't bother to change it everytime, it happens too often).

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Aleq,

I am sorry you had this problem. I checked the Google calendar provider page and I found this mention:
An important change in this version is that both ATTENDEES and INVITATIONS are enabled and sent by default, due to a Google server bug being fixed.
Actually when you manually create an event in Lightning in the Google calendar, the invitation is automatically sent to the attendee (it is not possible to uncheck the sending option). So if the event were synchronized and created again in the Google calendar, the invitations were sent again. I'll have to investigate to see if there is a workaround.

Regarding the duplicates, if they are identical items, it's possible to remove them with "Tools/BirdieSync/Remove duplicates" if the Google calendar is selected in BirdieSync options. But before doing it is highly recommended to backup your calendar. You may select the Google calendar in BirdieSync options only to use this tool (and not synchronize) while your mobile device is disconnected. You may also choose the single way synchronization (from Desktop to mobile device). I would recommend you to try to do some tests in another Google test calendar to ensure the operations run as you wish.
Birdy

Aleq

Post by Aleq »

I actually stopped using BirdieSync and replication to mobile. :| I don't have courage and will to try again soon :cry:

Aesculapius

Post by Aesculapius »

I can confirm this issue, but I'm not using the google calendar; just lightning.
Everytime I do a ROM upgrade or reinstall birdiesync, all invitation reply's get sent again. At least, that is how it appears to be, because while you do see all of them in your sent-box, I've never heard from people about receiving them.

Anyway, it's a problem which should be solved and which doesn't seem dependent on the google thingy...

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@Aleq: I searched and made some tests again. It is possible to disable the sending of invitations with Google. You must set the parameter "calendar.google.sendEventNotifications" to "false" in Options/Advanced/General/Config editor..."
Then if you manually create a Google event with an attendee in Lightning, no invitation will be sent. This is the same with BirdieSync: if you create an event with an attendee on the mobile device and then synchronize it. No invitation will be sent with Google. I tested it and it seems to work.

@Aesculapius: I tried to reproduce the problem but didn't succeed: I created an event on the mobile device with an attendee and then synchronized it in a Lightning local calendar. No invitation was sent. I also checked the "Sent" folder but couldn't find any invitation mail. Could you give me the different steps so that I can try to reproduce the problem ?
Birdy